Despite the rise of plant-based diets all over the internet, meat still seems to be on top of the food game.
Personally, I eat it almost every day, and while all it takes is a trip to the local butcher’s shop to get any kind of meat you’d need, there are still some benefits to doing some stuff at home.
Sausages and burgers are some of my favorite foods, and I sometimes find myself spending so much on something I consume regularly, which is why I decided to check out meat grinders.
They allow you to have full control over what you cook in your kitchen, while also saving some money since you don’t have to buy processed and pre-ground meat.
But with all the options, articles, and reviews out there, making the choice seems to be an almost impossible task.
So to make things easier, I’ve compiled this review of the 10 best meat grinders to buy, and hopefully, the choice becomes as easy for you as it was for me.
- Top 10 Best Meat Grinders – Quick Comparison
- How To Use Your Grinder the Right Way
- Reviews of the Best Meat Grinders for Home Use
- 1. STX International Turboforce 3000 Classic
- 2. Best KitchenAid Meat Grinder Attachment (KitchenAid FGA)
- 3. Gourmia GMG25
- 4. STX Megaforce Classic
- 5. Sunmile SM-G31
- 6. .75 HP Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder
- 7. Best Manual Meat Grinder (Gideon Hand Crank Heavy Duty)
- 8. Big Bite Stainless Steel Electrical Meat Grinder
- 9. Cuisinart MG-100
- 10. Kitchener Heavy-Duty Electric Meat Grinder
- How to Buy a Good Meat Grinder for Home Use
- Grinding Tips You Should Know About
- Electric Vs Hand-crank Vs Attachment Grinders
- How To Care For Your Grinder
- Top Rated Meat Grinder Brands
Top 10 Best Meat Grinders – Quick Comparison
- Best meat grinders for deer & elk meat
- Best meat grinders for raw dog food
- How to clean a meat grinder
How To Use Your Grinder the Right Way
Here are some basic steps to grinding your meat properly.
This is simply cutting and chilling the meat as well as removing the hard parts before putting it in the grinder.
2. Choose Your Plate
This all depends on whether you want a fine, coarse, or medium grind.
This will all depend on you and what you plan on doing with the meat.
3. Get Grinding
Simply load the meat into the grinder and crank it if it’s not electric, or simply push the meat down if it’s electric or an attachment grinder.
Once the meat is ground, check the consistency and decide if it’s what you were aiming for.
If not, then simply repeat the process.
Reviews of the Best Meat Grinders for Home Use
1. STX International Turboforce 3000 Classic
- The Turboforce 3000 Series Classic is a Powerful “Home Use”...
- Includes: 1 - Size #12 Polished Aluminum (Food Grade) Grinding Head...
- The Meat Auger that comes with this unit Features AVI (Advanced...
Kicking things off is a heavy-duty grinder that’s perfect for all your home cooking needs.
It comes with a very powerful motor, that averages between 800 and 1200 Watts, which allows you to grind up to 200lbs of meat in an hour.
That means that this is a great machine for big loads, and makes it one of the best options available for those looking for a powerful grinder.
It has a 12” grinding head, which is larger than most on the market, so you can grind fairly large chunks of meat at a time, provided it’s prepped properly.
It also comes with three grinding heads, giving you coarse, medium, and fine options depending on how you want your meat ground.
On top of all that, all the components are dishwasher friendly, so you won’t have to clean everything after every use.
It has 3-speed options, which opens a world of opportunity, and it also comes with a Kubbe attachment, which is perfect for those who want to impress their friends with an exceptional Middle Eastern Dish.
All in all, this is a great, heavy-duty grinder that’s ideal for home cooks, or simply someone who likes their meat.
– High-power motor
– Large grinding head
– 3 grinding plates provide options in the kitchen
– Dishwasher friendly
– Can’t grind tendons
2. Best KitchenAid Meat Grinder Attachment (KitchenAid FGA)
- Powered by your KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Fits all Household KitchenAid...
- Fine Plate to grind meats and dried breads.
- Coarse Plate to grind firm fruits, vegetables and cheeses.
Anyone familiar with kitchen supplies will be familiar with the KitchenAid brand.
It’s one of the most versatile and trustworthy tools you can get your hands on.
And by getting the Food Grinder attachment, you open up a world of opportunity.
Technically, this isn’t a meat grinder, but any of you looking for a budget option will find this to be one of the best ones out there.
The attachment comes with two grinding plates, a coarse and fine one, which doesn’t give you as many options as dedicated grinders but definitely gets the job done well.
Whether you’re making yourself a batch of sausages or a simple breakfast, the attachment will have you covered.
Since the KitchenAid is such a powerful tool on its own, the grinder attachment performs incredibly well, even when compared to other dedicated meat grinders on the market.
Those who want more control over the output of the grinder might want to look the other way, but for all your basic meat grinding needs, the KitchenAid Attachment has got you covered.
Definitely one of the best meat grinder attachments for KitchenAid stand mixer.
– Fits all KitchenAid mixers
– Dishwasher Friendly
– All components are plastic, which may make them prone to breaking
– Requires a KitchenAid
3. Gourmia GMG25
- FAST & EFFICIENT: Powers through the toughest slabs of meat for fresh,...
- 3 BLADES: Included are 3 durable stainless steel blades for a variety...
- SIMPLE & SAFE: Designed with a heavy duty food tray, 3 way...
Anyone familiar with Gourmia would know that the brand’s goal is to make things quick, easy, and convenient.
That’s exactly what the brand accomplished with this meat grinder.
No matter what you’re preparing, be it ground beef for a burger or something to stuff a sausage case with, this machine will do it for you with quickness and precision.
It comes with three blades, which allow you to really customize the way you want your meat ground, and all the settings are very simply laid out for you.
On the side of the machine, you’ll find an on and off switch, along with a reverse and dual safety switch.
These are all the settings you’ll need and you might also find that navigating through these settings is incredibly easy, even if you’re a first time user.
So for those who want convenience and precision in their grinder, Gourmia GMG525 is worth checking out.
– Heavy-duty build
– Easy to use
– Dishwasher friendly so cleaning will be a breeze
– Comes with sausage and Kibbeh attachments
– The metal finish is easy to scratch
4. STX Megaforce Classic
- The STX Megaforce Classic 3000 Series with a "Patented Air-Cooled...
- Includes: 1 - Size #12 Polished Aluminum (Food Grade) Grinding Head...
- The Meat Auger that comes with this unit Features AVI (Advanced...
If you’re looking for a high-grade, heavy-duty, premium grinder, you might have just found it with this STX model.
It comes with a #12 size grinding head, which can handle just about anything and blows the competition out of the water.
On top of that, the head is made of high-grade aluminum while the three blades it comes with are made of stainless steel.
That means that your grinder won’t just grind meat well, it’s also going to last a while.
If that wasn’t enough for you, the grinder comes with an integrated circuit breaker, which adds an incredible amount of safety to the machine.
The full name of this grinder is the STX 3000 Megaforce Patented Air Cooled Electrical Meat Grinder, and the lengthy name is actually because of the cooling system in the machine.
The cowl air cooling system makes sure the machine is constantly performing at its peak while also keeping it safe from damage, on top of that this cooling system is the first of its kind.
The only caveat would have to be the fact that the components aren’t dishwasher friendly, but if that isn’t an issue for you, then this is one of the best meat grinders to buy this year.
– Made of high-grade materials
– Incredibly powerful 3000W motor
– Patented cowl air cooling system
– Not dishwasher safe
5. Sunmile SM-G31
- Basic simple but powerful meat grinder for home use with 250W rated...
- Grind up to 150 pounds per hour. Made by all copper wires, powerful...
- Easy to operate with an On/Off Switch. Easy to assemble and...
When it comes to a dedicated electrical meat grinder that’s cost-effective, not a lot of grinders to it better than the Sunmile SM-G31.
Despite its affordable price range, this model has an 800W motor, that can do basic grinding tasks with ease, being able to ground up to 150lbs of meat in an hour.
Using this grinder is incredibly simple, as all it has in one on and off switch, so simply switch the grinder on and wait for your meat to be ground.
This meat grinder may not hold up well when compared to the more expensive models out there, but there’s arguably no grinder that does it better than this model in its price range.
– Compact design allows for easy storage
– Easy to use
– Cleaning the device is very easy
– The grinder is small, so meat needs to be chopped into small chunks
– No reverse setting which can reduce your options in the kitchen
6. .75 HP Stainless Steel Electric Meat Grinder
- Great for frequent use; . 75 HP; Size: #12
- Meat tray dimensions: 11. 5" x 8. 5" x 2. 25"
- All metal gears with roller bearings; Weighs 47 pounds
One of the stand-out qualities of this machine is its stainless steel case.
Not only does this add a shine to the machine, but it also gives it certain durability that’s hard to match.
This is one of the toughest grinders you can get today, so if durability is your thing then this model might be the one for you.
It has a permanently lubricated motor, which means you won’t have to be getting anything fixed or changed anytime soon if you have this grinder.
It features a new technology called “Big Bite” which basically means that the meat gets broken apart, or the auger of the machine takes a “bite” out of the meat before it moves to the grinder head, allowing you to grind more meat at a time.
This is a grinder built to last, so if you’re looking for durability and efficiency, then this one is definitely worth checking out.
– Quiet motor
– Allows you to load more meat at a time
– Tough exterior
– Comes with three grinder plates
– The shiny look from the stainless steel isn’t for everyone
– The materials used in the grinder make it heavy
7. Best Manual Meat Grinder (Gideon Hand Crank Heavy Duty)
- Simply place your desired meats or vegetables into the grinder and...
- Features high quality stainless steel blades and screens, to ensure...
- It's compact lightweight and can easily be dissembled to take along to...
Just because we have a wide array of electric meat grinders available to us nowadays, doesn’t mean that the meat grinder has gone out of style, and Gideon is proving just that.
There’s a different kind of satisfaction that comes from grinding your meat by hands, and that feeling was captured perfectly by Gideon.
The blades come with two plates, one for coarse grinding and one for fine grinding.
This gives you enough options that most of your grinding needs in a home kitchen will be covered.
The machine is built well enough that it doesn’t require too much effort to get the grinder working, and the stable base allows you to put it on almost any kitchen surface.
All the blades of the grinder are also hidden and kept in a safe place to avoid any accidents.
The Hand Crank Grinder might not be for everyone, but if you’re one of the people looking for a user-friendly meat grinder, then it doesn’t get much better than this Gideon model.
Definitely one of the best manual meat grinders on the market right now.
– Easy To Use
– Dishwasher Friendly
– Requires effort when using
– Some debris might get stuck in holes
8. Big Bite Stainless Steel Electrical Meat Grinder
- .5HP grinder is the perfect size to grind a few deer a year; Quieter...
- Modernized Brushed Steel Finish - Minimizes Fingerprints; GRINDER...
- Added Tray in Body for Knife & Plate Storage; Extended Auger Pulls...
This grinder might be overkill for those who aren’t going to use it daily, but those of you who need a lot of meat ground up quickly should definitely check this model out.
It has “Big Bite” technology which allows you to put in larger chunks of meat to grind since the auger of the machine will break it apart before it moves on to the grinder.
The Big Bite technology also allows you to grind meat faster without worrying about the machine clogging in the middle of the process.
This is the strongest grinder that this brand has to offer and is perfect for those who plan on grinding meat in bulk.
– Big Bite technology
– High powered motor
– Heavy-Duty Handle
– Three stainless steel grinder plates
– Might be a bit heavy for some
9. Cuisinart MG-100
- Grinds a wide variety of meats, including beef, chicken, turkey,...
- Powerful 300-watt motor grinds up to 3 pounds of meat per minute
- Features two metal cutting plates for varying degrees of thickness:...
This is not one of the most powerful motors out there, but sometimes you don’t need excessively large motors to get the job done.
For those who only plan to use the grinder for basic needs, then it might be best to look at the simpler models like this one by Cuisinart.
It has a humble 300W motor, which can grind up meat very well, as long as it’s prepped properly.
The machine also has a reverse function, which will help you get rid of clogs much easier.
Definitely not the flashiest machines out there, but there are times that all you need is a machine that gets the job done.
– Simple To Use
– Comes With Two Cutting Plates
– Not the most powerful motor
– Meat needs to be cut up in small chunks before grinding
10. Kitchener Heavy-Duty Electric Meat Grinder
- HEAVY DUTY: The product is crafted with long-lasting metal gears,...
- POWER: A powerful 2/3 HP, 500 watts motor that can grind up to 330-lbs...
- SAFETY: A removable large meat pan for easy cleanup and maintenance....
This model comes with a standard 500W motor, which can process just about any meat you need reasonably well.
It also comes with a #12 size grinding head, which is large enough to properly grind larger chunks of meat.
There are three settings on the grinder which are grind, stuff, and reverse modes.
This allows you to grind meat, make sausages, and remove clogs with incredibly easy.
A really great, straight to the point, heavy-duty grinder perfect for the home cook looking to open up more kitchen options.
– Large grinding head
– Adequate 500W motor
– Three settings
– Comes with two grinding plates
– It isn’t the best-looking grinder out there
How to Buy a Good Meat Grinder for Home Use
Even if you have the best grinders laid out in front of you, if you don’t know what to look for in a grinder, then you run the risk of making the wrong choice.
To help you avoid that, we’ve laid out a quick and easy buying guide to use as a reference when choosing the right grinder for you.
This is the first thing you have to consider when getting a grinder.
Ask yourself: what am I planning to grind?
If you plan to load heavy loads frequently, then you might be better off with a more powerful motor within the 800W to 1500W range, which may cost you more, but they do the job more effectively.
However, if you don’t plan on grinding a lot of meat and you don’t need 250lbs ground up in an hour, then you might be better off with a humbler 300W-500W motor.
Or if you don’t mind putting a bit of elbow grease into your kitchen work, then consider getting a hand crank grinder.
You don’t want to have made the choice of what grinder to order and find out you can barely lift the thing when it arrives.
Heavier grinders have their own benefits, but for simple home use, the lighter weights may prove to be convenient as you can move it much easier.
Now that you know what kind of grinder you’re looking for, it might be time to consider what accessories you’ll need.
Each grinder comes with its own accessories, some come with more, some come with none at all.
But it’s important to remember that at times, some of the accessories companies add are things you’ll barely use if you even use it at all.
So make sure to read up on what accessories are being offered and whether they’re worth it.
4. How Much Should I Spend?
This is the last question you should ask yourself, and that’s because you have to figure out what you exactly need before making a decision.
If you decide that you need a heavy-duty grinder and you’re at a place where you can afford one, by all means, go all out.
However, if you don’t need that much output, then it might be better to consider the grinder in the sub-$150 range.
Grinding Tips You Should Know About
Now that you have a meat grinder, you have to make sure it’s being used properly.
Below are a couple of tips for grinding meat better.
1. Cut Your Meat Into Nice Cubes
This needs to be done not only so it can fit properly in the grinder, but also so that the meat gets ground up properly.
2. Chill The Meat Before Grinding
This allows the meat to retain its shape better as it goes through the grinder.
3. Work Quickly
Make sure to load the meat into the grinder right away so that the meat stays nice and cold
4. Don’t Overdo It
If you over grind, you might end up with a mushy and unappetizing meat paste instead of quality ground meat.
5. Prep The Meat
Aside from cutting you have to make sure that there’s no skin, or tendons with your meat as that might cause damage to the grinder, or even worse, ruin the meat.
Electric Vs Hand-crank Vs Attachment Grinders
To cut it short, none of these grinders are better than the other, but you might find that one of these grinders is more made for you and your standards that the other grinder types.
These are some of the most popular grinder types out there today and they’re popular for their convenience and performance.
However, these grinders may cost more, take up more space, and require more maintenance than other types.
An electric grinder is highly recommended for people who need the work done quickly and don’t want to crank the grinder by hand.
This is probably the oldest type of meat grinder still available today, but their ease of use, cost-effectiveness, and longevity are just some of the reasons these grinders are still available today.
Granted, they do take some elbow grease to work effectively so may not be the best for people who don’t have the time or energy to crank the grinder.
But if you want an inexpensive grinder that gets the job done very well while not requiring an external power source, then this type of meat grinder is the obvious choice.
3. Attachment Grinder
This grinder will only work if you have a device to attach it to such as a KitchenAid.
But if you do have one, then the choice is easy.
These grinders are easily set up and don’t require you to buy an entirely new device.
However, this still isn’t recommended for those who will be grinding a lot of meat frequently.
How To Care For Your Grinder
If you want your grinder to last, there are a couple of things you have to do to maintain it.
1. Clean Regularly
This should be pretty obvious, but after every use make sure to clean the grinder.
2. Sharpen The Blade
Every now and then, the blade will have to be sharpened to keep the performance of your grinder up to par.
3. Check On The Grinder
To see problems in your grinder before they get too big to fix, make sure to check out all the components of your grinder every now and then.
Top Rated Meat Grinder Brands
So, who makes the best electric meat grinders out there?
Let’s take a look at these 3 exceptional brands:
This should come as no surprise as the brand has multiple entries on the list.
STX has been known to make quality kitchen accessories for a long time now, and their grinders are no exception.
This brand has been making quality, straightforward meat grinders that have been seen in kitchens all over for a long period of time.
You won’t be getting heavy-duty industrial meat grinders from this brand, instead, you’ll be straight to the point machines that do the job perfectly.
Meat grinders from this brand are known to perform well.
They have been one of the most innovative brands for meat grinders, always adding new technology to their machines.
Deciding what meat grinder to buy will always all depend on the person.
There isn’t one best grinder out there.
All the machines above are equally great but will serve different people differently.
Some of you might need heavy duty grinders that will grind upwards of 200lbs of meat an hour.
While some of you might just need a hand crank grinder to get the job done.
Either way, as long as the grinder is serving all your needs well, then you have the best meat grinder for you!